Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring is in the Air! So is pollen!

Spring is a brutal dichotomy for me. On the one hand, nature always looks great during Spring. The colors and blooming flora can be breathtaking at times.

At the same time, Spring also produces pollen, which wreaks utter havoc on those of us cursed with year-round allergies. Not to mention the mess it makes on the cars, porches, and well, just about everything it lands on.

Yet without the pollen, there would be no beautiful flora. Sometimes the things which we see as negative can actually be for the best in the big picture of things. This is a hard lesson to learn, especially for people like me who demand instant gratification. I'm the guy in front of the microwave going, "C'mon, I don't have all minute!" I despise waiting in line for anything, and I get really impatient at traffic lights and four-way stops.

This year, I was unemployed (again) for almost 3 months. Not at all the way I first envisioned 2010 going. Not at all. During those three months, I gained weight and lost self-esteem. Emotionally, I felt as though I had hit rock bottom. I felt as though my life had come to nothing, and I just wanted it to be over.

Circumstances intervened, and now I am employed once again. I still have my freelance writing gig on the side, and I am going full throttle at work and at school. I am happy, and my self-confidence has returned somewhat. I am looking toward the future with hope for the first time in quite awhile. I have made some new friends and continue to celebrate the steadfast ones. I have also become reacquainted with a universal truth:

You can't have Spring without the pollen.

Achoo!
Post a Comment