Sunday, February 28, 2010

Once more unto the breach...


I seldom look back through my blog anymore. It is neat from time to time to look back at some of the happier memories. Even some of the sad ones are worth remembering. The one theme that I am not happy to revisit is my career changes. It is honestly rather embarrassing. To be sure, each change was an wholehearted attempt to make my family's life better.

The same idealism applies to my recent college endeavors. While I was at Flextronics, I was inspired to get a two year Computer Science degree from Midlands Tech. to help further my career there. When I was laid off due to production cutbacks, it occurred to me that I should be pursuing a Masters degree. What good is a 2 year degree when I already have a 4 year degree? So I applied to the University of Phoenix's MBA program. I felt that a degree like this would catapult my career as well as my earnings.

By the time I reached my second class, I knew that I was out of my league. I am a semi-intelligent person, and I was able to keep up with the material; however, I didn't feel any sense of fulfillment whatsoever. I envisioned myself trapped in a career that I would literally hate. I felt lost. So I did some deep soul-searching. Very, very deep.

I asked myself "Why?" a lot.
  • Why have I changed jobs so much since leaving the ministry?
  • Why do I keep getting laid off?
  • Why can't I have a satisfying career that would make me happy and fulfilled?
Then I began the "Whats?"
  • What AM I good at?
  • What makes me happy?
  • What exactly is the source of the void in my life?
Long story short, I rediscovered that my two passions outside of family and friends are writing and teaching. I began to explore changing majors at Phoenix. Long story short, it didn't work out with them.

Long story short once again, I begin my studies in the Masters of Fine Arts program at National University tomorrow. My focus will be Creative Writing. Not only will the program help me hone my writing skills, but it will also qualify me to teach at the college level. I am excited about this, and though it has taken many crooked paths to get here, I am happy to be here.

I looked at my assignments for the upcoming week, and it looks like I will be spending a lot less time on Twitter and Facebook!

One final thought: the University of Phoenix sucks (another long story)!
Post a Comment