Thursday, December 31, 2009

New beginnings, new resolve, new year

So many of my peers are nay-saying New Year's resolutions this year. The main reason seems to be that no one (meaning themselves) ever keeps them.

I rather see New Year's Resolutions as opportunities to improve yourself over the previous year. New Year's represents a time of reflection and also the building of new dreams and new ideals. The New Year also gives rise to a new resolve to push yourself harder and achieve bigger things. Now what is wrong with that?

I traditionally post my New Year's resolutions here on my blog. Even though I abhor the idea of traditions from years of ministry abuse, I rather like this one, and I am going to keep it.

It is now my privilege to present my New Year's Resolutions for 2010. Whether you are inspired by these or choose to mock them, here they are:
  1. Lose weight and feel better. I realize this one is a repeat from the last several years, but I still want to go for it.
  2. Run in the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston this year. Why not?
  3. Finish my novel. I have 7,200 plus words, and have about 50,000 more to go. Then comes editing and hopefully publishing. Free copies for my pals to read on their toilets!
  4. Meet my career goals. The bottom line is that we spend 80 - 85% of our lives at work. Is it a crime to want to enjoy it? I think not.
  5. Obtain more paid freelance writing jobs. They are out there waiting for me to find them.
  6. Spend more quality time with family and friends.
  7. In the spirit of #6, watch less television. That laughing sound you hear is from my wife and children.
  8. Exercise 4 - 5 times per week.
  9. Establish a household budget and maintain it, including a savings account and a real vacation.
  10. Take control of my life, health, happiness, and destiny. Big words, I know, but hey, I am a big guy.
So there it is, my friends, my goals for 2010. At this time next year, I will let you know how I did. Have a happy, safe, and prosperous 2010, jungle friends!
Post a Comment