Monday, May 18, 2009

Movie Review: Star Trek (with Trekker commentary)

I finally saw the new Trek film with my wife yesterday, and like the Klingon warbirds in the Kobayashi Maru, I was totally blown away! It may very well be, in my opinion, the best Trek film in a long time.

You see, dear reader, I am a Trekker. Not to be confused with "Trekkie," which is used to describe weird Trekkers. I literally cannot remember a time when Star Trek was not a part of my life. I have been watching the series since I was 5 years old. I have chronologically packaged my life around Star Trek. For Example, when Star Trek IV came out, I was a senior in high school. My son was born just before Star Trek: Generations. And so on and so forth. See? Trekker.

To my embarrassment, I have never attended a Star Trek Convention. Perhaps someday I will.

Now that I have established my credibility as a Star Trek authority, allow me a few moments of commentary.

For several years now, I have been very concerned for the Star Trek franchise. When Star Trek: TNG ended, I had high hopes that their feature films may jump start the troubled franchise. After several disappointing TNG films, it seemed that Star Trek was going to phase out. The original series cast are, well, old. McCoy and Scotty are deceased, and there was very little hope for another feature film. Enter Star Trek: Enterprise.

Exit Star Trek: Enterprise. What a joke. I will refrain from further comment.

When rumors of a new Trek film abounded sporting a brand new cast, I had my doubts. Then when I saw the TV ad which began with, "This is not your father's Star Trek," I staring losing hope for the franchise. Like the faithful Trekker I am, I gave it a shot.

The rest is history. The film did everything right for me. The new cast is brilliant. It pleases me to report that the Star Trek franchise is alive again, and it will go on. I wonder if Gene Roddenberry ever thought his idea of a better universe would have the impact it has had. Like The Dark Knight has re-energized Batman, Star Trek is once again poised for another series of great films.

My name is Todd, and I am a Trekker.
Post a Comment