Monday, May 05, 2008

Acceptance Is One Click Away...


This film has become a recent favorite of mine. I have been able to enjoy it with my son Cody as well. He is almost 15 and the movie is PG-13. I miss him being little , but it is so cool having a son you can watch the 3 Stooges and Star Wars with, as well as the movie Accepted.
But as usual, I digress.

The film is about a group of High School graduates who fail to get accepted into any colleges. To appease their disappointed parents, they use 21st century technology to create a fake college and send themselves letters of acceptance. The ploy even goes so far as to create a website (I said "ploy"...oh, the memories). Unbeknownst to Bartleby (a parent actually named a kid Bartleby...?), the website was made fully functional and suddenly many students show up for orientation with their tuition at the fictitious South Harmon Institute of Technology, or S.H.I.T. (Todd...your immaturity is showing.)

What touches me about the film is that when Bartleby realizes his deception has gone too far, he is urged to tell the new students the truth about their acceptance at South Harmon. Instead, he sees a room full of people who, just like him were rejected for various reasons. So rather than spill the beans, he welcomes them to S.H.I.T. (snicker), and a college life people can only dream about ensues, along with a tribute to The Ramones (I love it when the young people show respect for the classics).

Basically, the movie looks at the system of education the way I look at the Church. Only the right kind of student need apply, and these are taught how to play the game of life, while people like me who don't quite fit in are thrown under the bus for daring to have a mind of our own.
Church should be like South Harmon, where people with no place else to go can be welcomed and made an integral part, using their unique gifts and talents to better the whole group. Instead the Church says, "Here's how we do it. We'll teach you how to do it our way."
In the end, Bartleby gets the girl, and S.H.I.T. gets accredited.

The moral of this story: In order to be accepted, one must step into S.H.I.T. (boooooooooo)
Post a Comment