Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"Everything that has a beginning..."


"...has an end."

These words of the Oracle from The Matrix are so painfully true. Two of my sports heroes are bringing their fabulous careers to an end.

I saw the news that Brett Favre will not be returning next season. Although I am not surprised, I still feel a profound sense of loss as a Packer-Backer. Brett is the only QB whose career I have followed since day one. He helped lead the Pack to championship status, where for years it had seemed hopeless. I will miss seing Number 4 lead our team next year. I really will.



There is also much speculation and likelihood that the Icon of pro wrestling, The Nature Boy, Ric Flair, will be ending his phenomenal career this year. He is 58 years old and still mixes it up with the best.


I cannot remember a time when Ric Flair was not in my life. As far back as I can recall, Ric Flair was there, either on my TV or at Columbia's Township Auditorium. The sense of loss I feel at the thought of him being anything but a wrestler cannot be described here. Furthermore, to try and encapsulate the 35 year career of this man in my humble blog would be an impossible task. I have the chance to see him live, for the first time since I was 15 years old, on March 24th. It may very well be the last time I will see him in this way. I am excited about it, but also profoundly sad.


Maybe the impending retirements of two of my heroes serve to remind me that I am not 15 anymore. Nevertheless, I am thankful for these two men and how they have both entertained and motivated me through their colorful careers.
Post a Comment