Friday, February 01, 2008

The Other Day, I Woke Up Differently


Back in the day, I was a die hard Republican. I voted Republican in every election, and I believed (and I still do) that Ronald Reagan restored hope and pride to America. I was a proud member of my local, "Silver Elephant" club, and I attended the meetings. In 1994, a fellow Elephant tried to convince me to run for chair of my local precinct. I wimped out. What if...?
I digress.
The other day, I woke up with a startling realization: I like Barack Obama. I like his vision, and the clarity with which he casts it. I like his attitude. I have not seen any mudslinging from this guy. I feel like I can trust him. He says the things that I would say if I were running for President. Of course, all of my speeches would begin with, "You don't know me, but..."
In an odd twist of events, my longtime pal, Rick, the king of java-related fair, announced on his blog the very same day I woke up different that he has chosen to support Senator Obama as well. Today I find that Steve is changing too. Could it be that George's music has somehow subliminally swayed us from the straight and narrow?
Maybe (kidding George), but I prefer to think that we gents are just growing up. Having children and realizing that there may actually be fewer days ahead than behind have changed what used to be important. For me, it was just important to be right, or at least on the side of "right." From 1996-1999, I couldn't be wrong. Then life began to change for me. The things I was "right" about were way beyond "right and wrong."
A treasured friend began to challenge me and my right wing way of life. And then, when my life had the rug pulled from beneath it, my right-wing comrades dropped me like mucus-filled tissue. The people who stuck by me taught me the only really "right" thing of eternal value: Love God and love others. I have never gone wrong in trying to practice this commandment.
I see the world differently than I did 20 years ago. I am ready to do whatever is necessary to ensure that my children have a decent world to live in after I am gone. Senator Obama is giving me a glimmer of hope that this decent world may actually be within our reach. I am excited to watch this process play out while I cast my vote at the appointed time.
Many of my friends support former Gov. Mike Huckabee. Mainly for his conservative, Baptist values, to be sure. Nothing wrong with having values...not at all. But do we really want to trust the free world to the Southern Baptist Convention? Nah! Huckabee will drop out soon (my prediction), but don't fret, his loyal supporters. He will have enough high paying SBC speaking engagements to last for quite awhile. I realize I am speaking "in the flesh" here. But it is just so much fun!
Have I also mentioned that I don't think Oprah is a total flake anymore? This is another topic for another post, but, while I do not agree with her spirituality, I applaud what she has done with her fortune. She has my respect.
The Other Day, I Woke Up Differently. At least I find myself in good company.
Editor's Note: After several attempts, I could not get my paragraphs to separate. This is a common problem I am having with blogger, and not a lack of English Grammar training courtesy of Dr. Mad Ox. Thank you for your continued support and for reading between the lines! Ha!
Post a Comment