Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Movie Review

Realize that I am always a bit behind on my movie viewing. I usually have to wait until a film is released on HBO before I can actually see it. I finally caught The Departed. It is a story of two men, on opposite sides of the law, who are working undercover with the Massachusetts State Police trying to nail the Irish Mafia. Because the film was direct by Martin Scorsese, I had high hopes. Sadly, by the end of the film, many of my hopes were dashed.

Yes, I realize that the film won 4 Oscars. I have come to expect more from Matt Damon, however, and I feel he was the weakest link of this film. Thankfully he did not employ the overkilled Boston accent he used in Good Will Hunting. I was also disappointed in Leonardo DiCaprio's performance. I have a great deal of respect for his work as well, but felt let down this time.

Also in the cast were Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin. There were some high spots with each of these, but ultimately, for me, the only redeeming quality of The Departed was a stellar performance by Jack Nicholson as Irish mobster Frank Costello. Nicholson, as always, created a dynamic character. Does this guy ever bomb?

The plot kept me hanging but totally deflated me at the end. I liked the cast ensemble, but was looking for more from them and they never delivered. The story was intriguing, but I feel the ending was written during a coffee break. Had I bought a ticket to this movie, I'd have felt ripped off.
Post a Comment