Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering

It was a day like any other day. I called my step dad to wish him a happy birthday, then I was off to a meeting at Shoneys. While there, I noticed all eyes were glued to the TV screens. Apparently a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. Moments later, I witnessed a second plane crash into the other tower.

In a restaurant full of strangers, we all shared a bond. We were all Americans, citizens of the greatest nation on earth, and we all felt violated. How could this happen? We were afraid. My only thought was that I needed to go and get my children out of school. Nothing else mattered. I spent the rest of the day glued to CNN, waiting for questions to be answered.

That was six years ago today. Not a day goes by that I don't cringe when I hear an airplane fly overhead. Not a day goes by when I don't wonder if it will happen again. In the 80s, we feared nuclear holocaust. Today we fear terrorism.

I will never forget the one thing that really stood out for me during the 9/11 terror. For one day, we were not black, white, oriental, republican, democrat, liberal, moderate, or conservative. We were Americans. We were unified. We believed in our country and in our system of democracy.

Today, six years later, I imagine all of those brave men and women who lost their lives, and those US soldiers who have lost their lives defending us are so proud of how far we have come since that fateful day. I'm sure it would please them to see Paris Hilton in the headlines while the soldiers defending us are ignored and possibly forgotten.

What will it take to unite this country and make it last? Another tragedy, or perhaps a simple choice to unite. I don't know. All I know is that it has been six years, and I feel more vulnerable today than I did then.
Post a Comment