Saturday, April 07, 2007

Generations

I have always regretted the fact that my Dad died before my son was born. I am a sentimental sort, as you may know, and one of the things I have always wanted to have is a generational picture. I am pleased to report that I have the next best thing.

The man in the left of the picture is my Uncle Bob, my Dad's younger brother. Uncle Bob is my godfather as well. My family is primarily Lutheran and this is something that is done when a child is born: a "godfather/godmother" is assigned. Their duty is to care for the spiritual well-being of their godchild in the event of the death of the parents. My Uncle Bob has really stepped in and filled the void left by Dad's untimely death.

He has taught me about our family history, given me photos of my ancestors, and taken me to some of the important places regarding our family history. I am pleased to be able to pass this on to my son, and during a recent visit to SC, Uncle Bob posed in this photo with Cody and me. Dad is not in the photo, but I am quite certain he would be honored to have Bob stand in his place.
Post a Comment