Thursday, April 20, 2006

Midweek WOW

Last night I had to make an unscheduled visit to Walterboro. My biker brother, Brian's, father passed away. On the way home, I popped in my WOW Gold. I hadn't played it in a long time for some reason.

It did my heart so good to hear some of the classics by Twila Paris, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Sandi Patty, Carman, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Keith Green, and First Call. When I was a teenager and a new Christian, this was the "cutting edge" music of my generation. It was the music they didn't want to play in church. Now most of the artists have numerous of their songs in hymnals across the country. We were radical in our faith back then. We believed in our music, the people who recorded it, and the Lord, of Whom they sang. I recall seeing Amy Grant with special guest Michael W. Smith at the Columbia Township Auditorium back in 1983 or 84, before either of them became as internationally known as they are today. Those were the days! I was real before God, my friends, and my church, and I was happy.

I cannot go back in time, but I realized that I want to be like that again: just real. I like the music I like, I dress the way I like, and I just want to be openly in love with Jesus. He is risen, He is Lord, and He is MINE!

Not bad for a midweek WOW!
Post a Comment