Monday, December 26, 2005

The Day After

Western commercialized Christmas is now over. The presents have all been opened. Soon the tree and all the trimmings will be packed away along with the warm memories of another great Christmas. My wife outdid herself. She put together the nicest Christmas I have ever had in my life.

Tomorrow it's back to work for me. I feel somewhat rested. I approach 2006 with great anticipation. 2005 was the most trying year of my life thus far. I learned that trying to be anyone or anything other than what you really are leads to deep depression. I am who I am, and that is all I am required or expected to be. I am called to minister the gospel. My calling, according to Romans 8, is irrevocable. My life has changed a lot over the last couple of years. What has not changed is that at the age of 16, God gave me a crystal clear calling to the gospel ministry. What form or shape it takes is not in my hands. Be it pastor, teacher, singer, wrestler, or all of the above, God has a perfect plan.

All I know at this moment is that I have been blessed with a life greater than I have ever deserved, and someone to share it with who is a better wife than I ever imagined existed. I also know that I have children who need me, and I them. And whether they know it or want to believe it, God's people need me too, and despite the hurt that many of them have caused me, I need them, too. Jesus died for the church, and He has called me to live for her, while dying to myself. It is a daily process. For me it is a moment-by-moment process. Yet it is the joy of living.

It staggers me when I think that had Jesus not been born, I'd have nothing to blog.
Post a Comment