Thursday, December 29, 2005

2006 New Year's Resolutions

I know what you're thinking. I feel the same way, which is why I haven't made any resolutions since High School. I always break them, usually within the first week of January! However, I want this year to be different. I need this year to be different. So I am taking some personal initiative and setting some goals for the New Year. Call them goals; call them resolutions; call them a joke (for those who have known me awhile). Regardless, and without further ado, I present my resolutions:

1) Seek God daily. For many years this was a token answer. The "preacher" is supposed to say that. This year I am driven to know Him deeper. I really want to , and I really need to. Whatever the next level is, I want to get there.

2) Love my wife and kids more. By this I mean by my actions. I don't think I could love them more in my heart, but this year I want to show them more love by spending more quality time and sharing new experiences.

3) Lose 30 pounds and keep it off. I know, another pat resolution, but I really want to do this. I did it a couple years ago, and I know I can do it again. I felt better, slept better, and just had a better overall outlook when I was 30 pounds thinner.

4) Find a place of service in the ministry again. Or rather pray that one finds me. I really want to record some Christian jazz songs I have written, and see where it goes. I may preach again, who knows. Whatever comes, I am ready.

5) Become more financially independent. I didn't say wealthy. I just want to be able to pay the bills as they come in and maybe have some left over to save for vacation or something. Tracy and I really want to help others in need. We want to be the ones the church calls when there is a need, and be able to meet that need without hesitation. We do what we can now, but we want to do more.

6) I want to go to Las Vegas and see Barry Manilow's show. I have never been to Vegas, and I don't gamble (except while driving on I-26 toward Spartanburg!). But I have dreamed of visiting there and taking in the magic of the Vegas show scene. Who better to start with than Manilow?

7) This year I want to take my family to Wisconsin. My grandmother in her 90s, and she has never met my children, except through pictures. I haven't been home since 1994. I miss Madison very much, and I really miss my family there. I also want to make another jaunt to Seattle.

8) Have a more positive attitude, and be thankful for everything, good or bad. I am trying to learn to see every situation as an opportunity to grow in my faith without whining about it.

9) Laugh more. Laughter produces so many positive things, physically and mentally. I need to laugh more at myself. I can be pretty darn funny sometimes. I also want to enjoy life more this year than any year in the past! I am very blessed. Sure, there are bad times now and then, but when the smoke clears, I have a lot to enjoy and celebrate.

10) Spend more time with my friends. I have some of the best friends in the world, and I grow weary of seeing them only once a year. I'd like to see more of Rick, Lori, Jimmy & Teresa, Tim & Angela, and of course, James. No more excuses, lets just do it!

11) Last but not least, I want to wrestle again. Just one full match, just to prove to myself that I can do it. Maybe WFJ will give me a title shot. Todd Matrixx has one match in him, I believe. JD Justice, Dynamite Dave, and T-Money are going to have their hands full in 2006, that much is certain!

That wasn't so bad, was it? No pressure with these. I will do my best to keep and reach these goals and celebrate the small victories along the way.

Care to post yours?
Post a Comment