Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Things I love

I love the Lord, with all of my heart, soul, mind, body and strength. I don't always understand him, and sometimes He makes me angry...only because He is always right I am always wrong. But I love Him and will never let go of Him.

I love my wife very much. I love her eyes, her smile, and her laugh. I love her heart, because frankly, it's bigger than her brain. That's how it should be. You should watch her take care of everybody at home and where she works. I have never seen such love in a woman ever before. She has a servant's heart that I am certain makes the Lord say, "Yeah, that's how to do it." I am blessed to have her.

I love my children. Watching them grow up every day (too fast) is more fun than a Sanford and Son marathon. Their lives are so innocent and pure. It terrifies me when I cannot be with them and protect them sometimes. I know the Lord can protect them much better than I, but I would walk through fire for every last one of them. I envy them. I would give my right arm to go back to myself at their age and tell myself to take a different direction at certain times. My children haven't had the chance to make the mistakes I made, and I pray like mad that they won't.

I love my church. Pastor Dave and the church family have helped me be excited about church again. Even when I was pastoring, I wasn't this excited about church. Great things are about to happen there. You can feel it as soon as you walk in the doors.

I love my job. They say working with successful people makes you more successful. Well, the jury is still out on me being successful at work, but it has done wonders for me to be here with JJ and KQ. I have learned so much from them, personally as well as professionally.

I love my friends. I don't have many, but the ones I have, I have had for a LONG time. They are loyal, and they are gold. SOLID gold.

I love my pets. No matter what mood I'm in, they just cozy up in my lap and want my attention. They don't mind if I'm broke, tired, or discouraged. They love me no matter what. Isn't that how God is?

I love my family. My folks don't always like me, but they love me. My sisters have great kids and married great men.

I love music with substance. Today's Christian music stinks, in my opinion. Give me Keith Green, Rich Mullins, Michael W. Smith, Clint Brown, DeGarmo & Key, or Mylon LeFevre. Even Steve Taylor has substance. I also love the smooth and heartfelt melodies of jazz. No one can sing it like Sinatra, and I am not too macho to admit that after 20 years, I never tire of Manilow.
I love people who are real. Maybe that's why the Christian music of today irks me. It is so "Cotton Candy." It looks like a lot, but when you bite into it, there is nothing there but air. People can be like that, too. I have always just tried to be me. What you see is what you get. To do this, you have to know yourself and be happy with you. It has taken years, but I am getting there. Jesus had a word for those who pretend to be something they're not: hypocrite. Ouch.

I love my truck. It is old and worn, but it is mine. It has taken me everywhere I needed to go for a long time, and it's almost paid for!

Finally, I love getting older. As the great Ric Flair once said, "Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it still has the longest line!'
Post a Comment