Thursday, October 27, 2005

My Sleeping Beauty


My Sleeping Beauty Posted by Picasa

Today's blog is about my wife, Tracy. The above photo was taken while we were on our way to Walterboro, SC, where I was to preach at a church that day. It was an hour and 15 minute drive.

Tracy is a helper. In her position as a CNA/Nurse Tech, it befalls her to care for the elderly in the same way one would care for an infant. She feeds, bathes, changes (yes diapers), and generally cares for elderly people placed in a permanent care facility. She takes great care in preserving their dignity and making them feel special all the while. I have watched her at work. It is a sight to behold, and the residents and their families all adore her. No surprise to me.

Tracy is a giver. She will do anything for anyone. She knows how to say no, but chooses not to. We have sort of "adopted" a young teen who needed some love and parental guidance. Yup, it was Tracy's idea. Both of Tracy's brothers are living with us right now. She does their laundry, cooks their meals, prepares their lunches, and picks up after them. Might I add she does all of this cheerfully and voluntarily. She works all day long, and has the energy and heart to do these things when she comes home. Note that all of this is above and beyond her primary duties.

Tracy is a trip! Man can she make me laugh! We have so much fun together. Sometimes, well most of the time, I want to steal her away and have her all to myself. I am planning a trip for just such a purpose. She is not selfish at all. She wants nothing for herself, except to be loved and provided for. If we lived in a motor home with only three wheels, she would keep it clean, find a place for everyone to sleep, and make it fun.

Tracy is a mother. We are a blended family. I have three children and she has four. When I first introduced my 3 to her, they loved her right away, and she them. I pray one day that all of our children realize what a wonderful woman this is who feeds and cares for them. She washes, folds, and puts away all of their clothes. She makes sure everyone gets their medicine at the right times every day. She helps with homework. She never does this grudgingly, and she doesn't do it because no one else will. She does it out of pure love.

Tracy is my wife. She is my best friend, lover, and soulmate. The Bible uses the phrase, 'ezer kenegdo, which is a Hebrew expression sort of conveying the idea of a missing piece completing a puzzle. Tracy completes me. She is the only woman in the world to ever make my coffee. She herself doesn't drink the stuff, but she makes it for me. She was made to be a minister's wife. Anything I do in church, praying, preaching, singing, or ministering at the altar, causes her eyes to light up with a pride and love that only a wife could have. The picture of her sleeping above is special to me. She could have stayed home and slept that day while I went and preached. That would have been fine. But she wouldn't have missed being there to see me preach for all the tea in China. She couldn't keep her eyes open coming or going, but when her husband was preaching, she was wide awake. Her eyes are the most beautiful things I have ever seen. They are so full of love and compassion. She is so very passionate. What she loves and believes in drives her. I am blessed, so very blessed, that God gave her to me.

Tracy is God's daughter. His baby girl. She has been through so much in her life. In every moment, good or bad, God was there, protecting and guarding her. He had big plans for her, and was getting her ready. There has not been one moment of her life that God has not loved her absolutely. He is going to do huge things through her life. He already is. Maybe one day the world will see these huge things. Maybe only her family and the host of Heaven will see it. At any rate, God sees. I believe He looks at Tracy and then calls everyone in Heaven over and points with joy while exclaiming, "Look at her! That's how I want it done! Isn't she precious!" Her earthly father abandoned and neglected her. Her Heavenly Father adores and cheers her while guiding and loving her through each day.

Tracy, I love you more today than I did yesterday, and as hard as it is to imagine, I will love you more tomorrow than I do right now. Thank you for being you, thank you for being there, and thank you for being my wife. I hope we get really, really old together.
Post a Comment