Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Accepting Obedience

And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to live in obedience to him. Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all he has done. (Colossians 2:6-7, New Living Translation).

I have a personal issue. Call it a character flaw if you like. I don't like to be told what to do. I am not sure when or how this started. I think it may be a family trait in the male gene pool. Maybe this is why I preferred to play alone for the most part as a kid. By myself, I only answered to myself. Then Jesus came along when I was 16.

When I got saved it was glorious. You shoulda been there. After I got saved it was harder. All of a sudden I was being deluged with a list of do's and don'ts. Gotta pray, give, go to church 3-4 times a week, dress right, live right, talk right, listen to this music and not that, etc...

I don't like to be told what to do. 21 years later I still struggle.

Todd: Do I have to read my Bible EVERY day??

God: Todd, I love you.

Todd: How about 15 minutes a day? 10? Will that be enough?

God: Todd, I really love you.

Todd: Can I write you an IOU on this month's tithe so my Cable won't be cut off.

God: Todd, I spin around wildly with joy at the thought of you!

You get the picture I guess. His love for me is settled. I can't do anything to increase or decrease it. On April 11, 1983, I accepted that love.

On October 5, 2005, I settled my love for Him by accepting a lifestyle of obedience. I still don't like to be told what to do, but I love the Lord and I trust Him to guide my life. Therefore I must decrease and He must increase. I desire to be deeply rooted in Him, strong and vigorous in the faith, and to overflow with thanksgiving (not whining). Jesus said if I love Him I will keep His commandments. Words like surrender and submit are for my growing.

21 years in the faith, and today I decided to grow up! What took me so long?


Post a Comment